tecznotes

Michal Migurski's notebook, listening post, and soapbox. Subscribe to this blog. Check out the rest of my site as well.

Feb 10, 2008 5:09pm

now with comments

I've been toying with Akismet and ReCAPTCHA a bit, and I feel comfortable adding comments to this blog again. I last tried this this almost four years ago, and the near-instant flood of Texas Hold 'Em spam made me turn them off. ReCAPTCHA uses the Internet Archive's book-scanning project as a source of difficult-to-read text, so there's a social good that results from any submitted comments.

I had originally wanted to use Akismet as a primary filter, so that the ReCAPTCHA form was only displayed if a comment triggered their spam alarm. However, I became uncomfortable with the comments on my personal site being used to stock a commercial database. I will still use this pattern elsewhere, because it's a self-evidently better user experience, but while you are in my house you shall be forced to suffer.

Comments only work on relatively recent posts - anything older than three months or so has the form turned off.

Comments (8)

1. Testing, testing, 1-2-3. Sibilance... sibilance.

Posted by Michal Migurski on Sunday, February 10 2008 5:18pm EST

2. It worked!

Posted by Adrian Holovaty on Sunday, February 10 2008 6:13pm EST

3. At last! Hooray!

Posted by Eric Rodenbeck on Sunday, February 10 2008 9:27pm EST

4. Woooow...

Posted by zAk on Monday, February 11 2008 5:33am EST

5. I'm glad I'm not the only one that gets struck with that Space Ghost reference when doing mic checks. ;)

Posted by Taylor Wright on Monday, February 11 2008 11:41am EST

6. That reCaptcha is hard! I understand the need tho.... The audio version reminds me of those mysterious number shortwave stations. Comments are nice, good idea.

Posted by gavin on Monday, February 11 2008 6:41pm EST

7. Yay! Now, down to business... May I interest you in a game of Texas Hold'Em Poker? ;)

Posted by Boris Anthony on Monday, February 11 2008 11:21pm EST

8. Comments rock! I just wanted to meta-comment for no good reason.

Posted by PixelRobot on Thursday, February 14 2008 6:45pm EST

Sorry, no new comments on old posts.

April 2017